Monday, September 12, 2011

Vikings Movie Reaction - Emily Thibodeau

I enjoyed the movie, particularly the archaeological segments. I was surprised at some of the items founds, such as the jewelry and beads. It seemed very detailed and quite modern looking. The fact that tiny artifacts were able to help date the sites and that researchers knew what trends were in the eighth century was really interesting. I thought that the negative image of the Vikings being perpetuated initially by monks and literate figures in the time period was a factor in their history I'd never considered; nor had I considered that there were few Viking pieces of written literature to compare to. It's great that the archaeologists had lots of in depth insight into their history, because it seems like it has otherwise been polarized as being very violent or a romanticized vision of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment