Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Viking Video - Melissa's Response

I found learning about the vikings to be a quite an interesting experience. Previously I had only thought of them of pillagers and rapists. I found it especially interesting to learn that this perception was developed because the monks were the ones writing the history at the time. It is interesting to then begin to consider all of the preconceived notions I might have developed over the years about other societies beyond the vikings.

I think that it is a shame that we do not know more about the vikings' history. I'm sure that their oral traditions would be fascinating if we knew more about them. I am glad, however, that archaeologists are studying the historic viking sites. As they continue to dig and discover more remnants from the viking society perhaps this will begin to reveal more.

No comments:

Post a Comment