Monday, September 12, 2011

Video Reaction - Liz Matuzak

I was really enjoying the video. The way scientists were able to date the history of the Vikings through looking at the wood they used to build their ships was incredible.

Another thing that stood out to me was how the monks/priests viewed the Vikings and subsequently recorded their history. It didn't make any sense that the viking people be solely composed of violent deranged, warriors. Like many other people's of the time, they were merely trying to establish themselves and gain security. Also, it seems they were viewed as incredibly violent because their fighting style was so effective.

The section where the Viking's advanced ship building was discussed was cool too. I liked the designs. Prior to the video, I had no idea the Viking's were connected with Ireland and now some of the similarities in Celtic designs and traditional Viking stuff make sense.

Those are my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment