Saturday, September 17, 2011

Response to Norse Mythology - Sam

I found Maria’s lecture on Norse Mythology very informative, especially since I previously knew very little about the subject. Just as Dylan and Ben mentioned, I was really surprised at how important women’s roles were. They were allowed to step up and be seen as strong, and when there were no men in the house one of the women had to step up and become the man of the house. Many people in the community relied on these women who would come by and tell them their future and treated them very well because they were the ones in contact with the gods. I also liked the fact that the king and queen ruled jointly.

Another part that I found very interesting was the respect they had for nature. I think that the Scandinavian people at the time had a great outlook on nature; they were humbled and driven by the fact that they couldn’t battle against nature and win.

The other little fact that I really liked was that the whole idea of myths is to compete with missionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment