Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Viking Reaction- Natalie

The movie we watched Monday regarding Vikings definitely made me see a whole new side to the myths and legends concerning them. I have always thought of Vikings as crude, inhuman beings pirating and destroying everything in their path. I never connected them with extraordinary craftsmanship and innovation. The painstaking detail they put into all of their work was really incredible. I especially found the runes quite interesting. They put such beauty and elegance into a written language they rarely ever used. The twisting, snake-like designs were amazing, and I’m surprised we don’t see them more often in textbooks and museums. It’s disappointing that the Vikings left behind so little written accounts; maybe if they had spent more of their time relating of what their lives consisted, they might be less misunderstood.

No comments:

Post a Comment