Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Finnish Music

I found the presentation by Katri to be very interesting. I had known that the Finnish language was different than the rest of the languages of the Nordic countries, but I had thought that it was similar to Russian. I was surprised to hear that the language might have come from Hungary or Mongholia. I had no idea that it was basically its own language group.

Katri said that much of Finnish music uses a five-beat scale and that, like the language itself, it is somewhat similar to music from Far East countries. I think that showed when she played some of the music. If I hadn't been looking at the people on the screen, I would've thought that it had been music from Asia.

Overall, it just seemed strange that Finland is so much different than its neighbors when it comes to their language and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment