Monday, November 14, 2011

Danish Week

To start I really enjoyed the Dogma 55 film, the actual plot was kind of confusing and while I was not completely satisfied with the ending, it was an interesting movie to watch and definitely different from anything I have seen before.

Now on to Wenche's visit. I really enjoyed this. She was my favorite speaker by far and I found myself thinking about everything that she had said even after I had left the class. From healthy care to diversity to women's rights she left us with so much to think about.

For me, I know I left really thinking about the women's rights issues that we discussed. I have recently been discussing them in some other classes as well and have recently seen parts of a documentary called Miss Representation. There are a lot of facts included in this documentary that actually are really shocking. Women make up 51% of the population but only 17% of Congress is comprised of women. The US is 90th in the world in terms of women's legislation and there are less women in the US government than in Cuba, China, Iraq and Afghanistan. We are choosing our current nationl leaders from only 6% of the population. Just some interesting facts that were included in the documentary that give a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment