Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Finnish Music and History

I was intrigued by Katri's connections of Finnish history to its music and literature. It was neat to see how the oppression by the Russians can be heard in 'Finlandia.' I also agree with Greg that it is kind of strange that Finland uses a different beat and that its language is different from some of its immediate neighbors. I think that Finland's unique history of wars and fighting for independence is what has made it so different from the countries that surround it. It was cool to get a taste of history and its relation to current culture, as it is sometimes hard to make those connections for a country.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with the Finlandia part. It was very cool how it shows a story. I thought it was great how she related it to a story.

    ReplyDelete