Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Thoughts

I have learned so much in the past three days, thanks to everyones’ presentations. Previously, I knew very little about Scandinavia. I was aware of silly things such as IKEA and Volvo and a few broad things like the eco-friendliness and high taxes, but I now know so much more. Scandinavia has been leaders in vastly different subjects areas for a long time. The rest of the world has a lot to learn from them, anything from the production/distillation of vodka, to the health care system. It seems that they all have a great sense of happiness, wealth, health and government and it really makes me want to study abroad there this summer.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I originally thought that Scandinavia referred to places in more eastern Europe like the Ukraine or Slovakia. I had no idea Iceland or IKEA would be considered Scandinavian before this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Nina. I was shocked to learn how many things that are in my everyday vocabulary that originated in Scandinavia! I was surprised to learn about Volvo, Saab, and Nokia. I was also pretty surprised to learn Nokia started as a wood and rubber company, and transitioned as the times progressed. This gives hope that they will continue to produce innovative things, that will keep them afloat in this technology-centric day in age!

    ReplyDelete